menu html5 by Css3Menu.com

July 2007

Pedal Box Cover

The reason for building a new pedal box cover was twofold, one the original Tiger supplied cover was certainly looking its age, and two every time I went through a puddle I got my feet soaked as it wasn't waterproof.

With this in mind I set about building a waterproof and better quality version.

In building this there are several things to take into account, you need to allow for the throttle cables to come through from the pedal, you need access in case something should go wrong and everything must still work without causing a problem to the car.

I started off with the idea of making a box to go over the void in the car and then hit the first problem, the pedal aperture in the chassis is not square - when you look at the footwell you see in expands on the outer shell of the car as it goes towards the back, so using some aluminium angle I squared the whole aperture and also at the same time gave myself a vertical lip to bond the rest of the box to.

Once that was done the next stage was to build up the front of the box - this needs to be the strongest section as it has the throttle cables passing through it - because of this I chose to make it out of 2mm sheet ali instead of the 1mm I used for the rest of the box. In essence this is a flat sheet with a bend along the top to support the top of the box and two corners to give the plate extra rigidity. This was trial fitted at this point to make sure everything fitted.

Inside of Front Panel Outside of Front Panel

Next stage is to build the sides of the box these just required the use of a cardboard template to make the sides and the lip on the top. I needed to make two of these and ensure I did the folds in opposite directions. Again they were trail fitted to ensure everything was correct.

I now hit a small snag - I needed a lip all the way round the box to get the lid to seal to but had no obvious method of doing this as a piece of ali bend to around 120 degrees will snap very easily, so with a bit of lateral thinking I used a length of piano hinge to form the top. Now all the sides were finished it was time for the final fit, the panels are held together with pop rivets and plenty of silicone sealant to prevent water ingress.

The last stage was to build the top panel this is a very simple construction being just a sheet of metal with the corners folded over to form a lid, the lid is held down with 4 stainless allen head bolts which go through into nutserts on the edges formed earlier.

The result looks a lot neater than the old assembly and is waterproof as well.

First Side Installed Both Sides Installed Completed with lid